Monday, November 18, 2013

#globalperspectives

It's been a month of being in an environment where my educational background actually matters (I mean it's always mattered but here "Tell me about yourself" really isn't about me trying to complete my language bucketlist. I'm learning every time I meet a new person to respond to the question, "What is your background?") And I've noticed a trend in reactions from Europeans when I talk about my college experience. "Oh, so you have that American liberal arts thing" (paraphrased). This is a shocking revelation, because up until now, I thought a liberal arts degree was a good thing. Well, except that one time the receptionist at the Ministry of Water in Nairobi laughed out loud when I told her what I was studying.



I don't know why I am surprised that Europeans, Germans especially, would disapprove of my American education. I mean, it's not like I've been listening to two hours of a Freakonomics podcast about whether college (implied, in the United States) is worth it.

*****
Updates: I moved to Laos for a fellowship with an environmental conservation organisation. I had to make a career move. Here's a link to my blog while I'm in Laos. I'll still maintain this one about career/growing-up angst -- which is separate from traveling to another country and experiencing a different life for a year... or is it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment