Friday, March 1, 2013

My Undergrad Regrets



Alright, now that that piece of mind-blowing advice is out of the way, I have to say that there are many things that I wish I did differently in college. I’ve found myself going over them more and more these last few weeks. And as much as I recognize that there's no good that can come out of reliving the past, I would like to note a few of these lessons in the off chance that someone who’s about to go to college will see this -- or even for my future self if ever I’m trying to repeat past mistakes.

1. I wish I dived right in.
I tend to be a cautious person, and I like to weigh my environment. Before jumping right into things, I need to study people, figure out their story, know how well we work together and what not. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad habit to have but I have a tendency to spend too much time on this part of the process and let myself be in the shadows too much -- the problem? I let too many opportunities pass me by! So anyway, for future me, it’s good to get to know the kind of people you have around you, but it’s great of you get more involved with things.

2. I wish I went on an abroad.
This is probably my biggest regret, and it kinda ties in with #1. I was so scared about how to set up an abroad (how complicated the visa process might have been for an international student, for example), that I never even tried to submit an application. During my four years, there have been abroads to New Zealand, Peru, Brazil, Japan, Nepal, India... Given how much I am dying to have someone stamp my passport right now, I think these would have been great opportunities. Additionally, they would have all been such enriching experiences -- but yeah, I let them slide. So for future reference, I’m looking for any loophole I can find to get myself onto a plane and across a border. For anyone in school, being a student is one of the best excuses that embassy officials take. I learned this too late.

3. Be less afraid.
The biggest reason behind why I didn’t do things in this list is fear. I was scared of coming across as pushy. I was scared of not being able to see my abroad plans through. I was/am scared of meeting new people, or scared of people in general. I was scared to switch to my second major sooner. There have been lots of times that fear held me back. Going forward, I'll keep that fear impulse in check.

4. Realize that I can begin anywhere.
After realizing all the chances I’d blown by being afraid I spun myself into a spiral of I wish I did this better without actually doing anything about it. But the awesome thing about life is that you can begin anywhere. There’s no set time to do something even though that’s what we are told. Want to learn a new language but you aren’t seven anymore? Who cares?! Wish you made better choices with you majors? What skills have you learned from your other majors that you can apply to a life with your new academic interests? Find them and apply them! (This is directed at me personally) Wish you were more open to people around you? Hey, are there not people around you right now??! And so on and so forth -- basically, you wanted to do it then, what can you do now to get you there? Okay, now go and do it!

5. I wish I sought more help.
Given that my undergrad transcript is set already, this final one may be a sailed ship. It might help somebody though. I wish I made more use of the resources available to me. Why? I sit at my office for four hours each day twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to come and ask me for help with a paper or chat about ideas for a paper. And you know what? Not too many people do. Once in a while a professor will suggest that students come and see me and then they will. See, if this is how teachers/professors and writing tutors spend their days, i.e. longing to help anyone who seeks it, I should have been more willing to ask my professors questions after class or talk with tutors. Since I plan on going to grad-school, I need to remember this feeling and tap into it. For anyone still in school, seriously, people are paid to be there for you. Actually, it’s your money, make the most of it! (But also don’t be rude about it.)

I think that’s everything that covers my undergrad experience. Eventually I'll write up the things I definitely wouldn't wish to have done differently.

Do you have any regrets lessons to add to this list? Would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment